Applications for the 2024 mentoring program will be open in October 2023.
Please check back in early October for details on how to apply.
If you have questions about the Program, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Are you an early or mid-career statistician seeking support to develop your career? Or are you a more experienced statistician looking for opportunities to share your skills and career experiences with a new generation of statisticians?
Following a successful pilot in 2020, hosted by the Biostatistics and Bioinformatics section, the SSA Mentoring Committee was established to run an annual mentoring program, to support SSA members.
- Applications to take part in the program will be open once a year to all SSA members. The program will run for six months.
- Mentees and mentors will be matched by the SSA Mentoring Committee, taking into consideration applicants' career stage, area(s) of statistics and reasons for participating in the program. Successful applicants will be contacted by the committee with details of their proposed mentee/mentor match prior to program acceptance.
- Each mentor will only be assigned one mentee.
- Mentee-mentor pairs will aim to meet at least once a month, with a minimum of four meetings in-person or virtually expected over the course of the program.
- Mentees will be responsible for arranging meetings with their mentor.
- Mentors and mentees will be given opportunities to training resources and participate in peer group sessions to share experiences and build professional networks.
The SSA Mentoring Committee will follow up with all participants during the program to monitor progress and provide additional support as required.
Who can apply?
- Applicants must be an SSA member.
- Mentees must be a student or within the first 10 years of their statistics career at time of application.
- Mentors should have a minimum of five years' experience working as a statistician in academia, government or industry. Prior mentoring experience would be beneficial but is not a requirement to participate in the program.
- Successful applicants must be SSA members and willing to commit to the 6-month program.