To celebrate 60 years since the formation of the Statistical Society of Australia as a national association of statisticians, the Society is offering up to 4 SSA Diamond Jubilee Fellowships, worth up to $5000 each, to help further the careers of our early/mid-career members. These SSA Diamond Jubilee Fellowships are intended to celebrate this Society milestone and to offer a boost to our early/mid-career members whose careers may have been limited by the impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic. It is expected that the Fellowship funds be spent within one year of their award, but this is negotiable.
Applicants must satisfy the following criteria:
- Have been a member of the SSA for at least 2 years, and not currently be a student member of the Society.
- If employed at an academic institution, the applicant must be within 10 years of the award of their highest degree, and be employed at Level C or lower.
- If employed outside of academia, the applicant must be within 10 years of the award of their highest degree.
- Career disruptions due to major life events/illness/caregiving responsibilities can extend the 10-year limit.
- Members who have received a Fellowship from the NHMRC or ARC, or received any other major grant as the lead chief investigator are not eligible to apply.
The funding can be used to support a wide range of career-boosting activities, including, but not limited to:
- Living expenses, including familial care expenses, such as childcare expenses.Travel (e.g. for collaboration, such as travel to meet collaborators, or having collaborators travel to meet the applicant; conference travel).
- Participation in training programs.
- To support costs associated with the organisation of a workshop, conference, or outreach activities.
- Development of training materials, software, or other outreach materials (e.g. podcasts).
- Fees associated with open-access publications.
- Hiring a research assistant.
- Any other activity that the panel agrees would boost the career of the applicant. Applicants who are unsure of whether their planned activity would be supported are encouraged to contact the SSA to discuss this.
Successful Diamond Jubilee Fellowship applicants will be expected to:
- At the commencement of the Fellowship, SSA Diamond Jubilee Fellows will be asked to provide a photo of themselves and a short description of their planned activities for use in the SSA newsletter and on SSA social media channels.
- Acknowledge the Statistical Society of Australia in any presentations, publications, or materials arising from the Fellowship.
- If funds are to be paid to the applicant’s institution, the institution must invoice the SSA for the funds. If not, the applicant must supply receipts to the SSA for re-imbursement. If this would cause undue financial hardship, please contact the SSA.
- Produce a 5 to 10-minute video at the conclusion of the Fellowship describing what activities the Fellowship funded. This video will be uploaded to the Society’s social media channels and will be made available on the SSA website.
To apply, please fill in the application form available here and send this as a pdf along with your CV (in pdf format) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 28 April 2022 at 5pm AEST. PLEASE NOTE: DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 12 MAY 2022 at 5pm AEST. On your CV, please include the dates on which your degrees were awarded and your employment history, along with other information required to assess your career history.
Applications will be assessed by a panel of senior statisticians.