The Society currently has about 600 members. Membership is open to all with an interest in statistics and the Society’s objectives. Membership is based on that of one of the branches, though those whose residence is remote from a branch may apply to be a member-at-large. The six branches are: New South Wales, Victoria, Australian Capital Territory, Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia. The Victorian and New South Wales branches also have regional groups in Tasmania and Illawarra, respectively. Membership for full time students and retired persons is at half rates. Institutional membership is also available on application.
Membership of SSAI provides the following benefits:
- Forums for the exchange of statistical information and ideas with statistical workers active in applications, consulting, teaching and research within government, commerce and industry.
- Reduced fees for SSAI Workshops and Conferences
- Opportunities through professional meetings and workshops to keep abreast of the latest developments in the field.
- Peer professional recognition through accreditation.
- Subscription to the internationally recognised Australian and New Zealand Journal of Statistics and to the Society’s Newsletter, which provides general news and notes of relevance to the profession.
- Establishment of a network of contacts, both national and international, throughout government, industry, business and academia
- 20% discount on selected items from Cambridge University Press
- 25% discount on all books from Wiley or Wiley-Blackwell