The Statistical Society of Australia is committed to the advancement of statistics both within Australia and abroad. The SSAI International Travel Grant was established in order to foster international ties between the Society and the international community. The Grant will provide $2000AUD to assist one successful candidate from a developing country to attend the Young Statisticians Conference 2015 in Adelaide (5-6 February).
How will the candidate be chosen?
This travel grant will be open for anyone who is currently enrolled as a PhD student at a local or foreign institution (evidence of student status will be required, Masters students will also be considered). The candidate will be selected by an SSAI Travel Grant Committee according to:
- the level of benefit that the candidate’s home community will receive by this candidate attending the conference, and
- whether the candidate can solicit funding to attend this conference through other means.
Examples of benefits to a candidate’s home country include:
- a junior staff member or student where the knowledge and professional networks developed at the conference will enable the candidate to become a stronger leader within an organization in their home context in the future
- a contribution to methods investigations that can aid in collection development, and data quality in official collections; or to efficiencies or standards in official collections in the home country national statistical office, or in other public insitutions with statistical collection, analysis and dissemination responsibilities
In order to be considered as a potential candidate to receive this SSAI International Travel Grant you will need to submit an application package to the Travel Grant Selection Committee. This package should contain the following elements:
- A letter of intent, indicating why they should be selected for the award and the expected benefits that the candidate’s home context will receive through the candidate attending the conference.
- A document from the institution where they are enrolled in a PhD confirming their student status (such as a copy of a student card, recent academic record, or other correspondence).
- A photocopy of the photograph page form their passport
- A Curriculum Vitae
- A letter of recommendation by the candidate’s supervisor or unit head.
- An itemized estimate of the candidates costs to attend the conference (this should cover costs of conference registration, travel and accommodation at a minimum and indicate sources of funds to cover these costs). The grant will cover $2000AUD of these costs; the candidate should indicate how they intend funding any outstanding balance.
Applications for this travel grant will be due by the 5th of October 2014, and can be emailed to the SSAI Section for International Engagement Chair, Mark Griffin, at email@example.com. The successful candidate will be notified by the end of October. Any questions about this travel grant can also be sent to Mark.
What will be expected of the successful candidate?
Once a successful candidate is selected then they will work with the Travel Grant Committee to organize local arrangements such as the selection of appropriate accommodation while in Australia. The Grant Committee are personally committed to helping the candidate obtain the most benefit and enjoyment through attending the conference. During the conference the candidate will be able to attend their choice of conference sessions, but will also be expected to present a seminar at the conference describing the candidate’s research or statistical work. There may also be additional opportunities for the candidate during their travel to Australia including visiting statistical groups within Australian universities and other workplaces.
Whom to contact for more information?
All enquiries about the SSAI International Travel Grant can be sent to Mark Griffin at firstname.lastname@example.org.