To give students a head start in their job seeking, the SA Branch hosted a Young Statisticians Career Event in the first week of second term (early May 2018) which linked students with SA Organisations which employ Statisticians. Around 30 students from SA’s three universities were able to enjoy beer and pizza while they were introduced to employers before taking the opportunity to speak further in small groups.
Students were able to get an insight into the type of statistical jobs available in Adelaide by talking with representatives from:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics,
- Flinders Centre for Epidemiology and Biostatistics (FCEB), Flinders University,
- Australia and New Zealand Dialysis and Transplant Registry (ANZDATA), South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI)
- Australian Orthopaedic Association National Joint Replacement Registry (AOANJRR), SAHMRI
- Data to Decisions Cooperative Research Centre,
- National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER), and
- The Biometry Hub at Waite, The University of Adelaide.
As organisers we were really pleased with the turnout – completely filled the room we booked! It was a pleasure to assist students start their journey in the job market for statisticians and data analysts. A special thanks to our Young Statisticians representative Peter Kasprzak and the rest of the Branch Council for putting on the event.
By Paul Sutcliffe