The Statistical Society of Australia is launching its first ever photography competition! If you are a keen hobby-photographer, read on! Up to $1000.00 in prize money could be waiting just for you!
Statistics is a highly interdisciplinary field. Research in statistics finds applicability in virtually all scientific fields and statisticians can be found in a multitude of environments, be it in a group or solitary, working in a lab, field or office.
The 2018 SSA Photo Competition is an opportunity for statisticians from all areas of expertise to showcase their profession, their research and their colleagues in an artistic way. The subject of the photograph or images is limited only by your imagination as long as it touches on the profession of statistician or data scientist.
The 2018 competition will allow entries into four categories:
- Statistical Interactions
- Visualising data/statistics
- Statistics in Action
- The next generation (Young Statisticians)
Capture a moment in the lab, at an event or on your computer. Go out in the community and explore the multitude of ways that statistics touch our everyday lives. If you are attending ISCB-ASC2018 capture experts exchanging ideas with other experts. If you’re planning to go to the Early Career Researcher Day or the WA Young Statisticians Workshop you know what to do!
This competition will open on 20 July 2018, and all entries must be received by the competition closing date: 1 October 2018, 4:00pm AEST.
All images must be accompanied by an entry form.
Prizes and judging: All entries will be adjudicated by a committee assembled by the President of the SSA.
SSA Members: A prize of $250 will be awarded to the top photo in each of the categories if the photographer is a member.
Non-Members of SSA: The prize constitutes of one year of full-membership awarded to the top photo in each of the categories. If the same non-member wins more than one category they are eligible for the cash prize for their second, third and fourth win.
The judges’ decision is final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
- The competition is run by the Statistical Society of Australia Inc (SSA), (ABN 82 853 491 081), PO Box 213, Belconnen, ACT 2616.
- Paid employees of the SSA are not allowed to enter.
- To enter, please complete an entry form and send it along with your image(s) to Marie-Louise Rankin, Executive Officer ([email protected]) directly or via Dropbox (contact [email protected] for Dropbox details).
- Images must be photo quality (300dpi, 8×10) and in jpeg format. Files should be at least 2MB in size. Images not meeting these specifications will not be accepted.
- By entering the contest, the photographer retains the copyright of his or her images and credit lines will be attributed to each photographer where possible. The photographer grants the right to the SSA to publish their photo in print or electronic form (web; social media) to promote the SSA and its events. The photographer will not receive monetary compensation.
- It is the photographers responsibility to obtain written permission of every person depicted in the photograph(s).
- The photographer must be the copyright owner of any images he/she enters into the competition.
- The photographer must be a resident of Australia, with an Australian mailing address and bank account to be eligible to win a prize.
- By signing and completing the entry form, the photographer consents to the entry of their submission and agrees to abide by contest rules.