due to lack of subscription
The Statistical Society of Australia is pleased to present the following one-day workshop
Delivering Effective Presentations in Statistics
Have you always wanted to be able to deliver effective presentations with confidence and conviction? Are you looking for ways to present your research in a way that grabs your audience and holds its attention for the duration of your talk? Then this workshop is for you.
Whether you are presenting at the Australian Statistical Conference 2016 or anywhere else, our presenter, Dr Maya Gunawardena, will assist you in
- delivering effective presentations with confidence and conviction
- preparing effective PowerPoint slides for your presentation and
- presenting your research succinctly and deliver a clear message.
About the Presenters
The presenter, Dr Maya Gunawardena is an academic in the field of language and learning. She has long experience in training research students in presentation skills at UNSW Canberra. Maya has trained the winning Three-Minute Thesis presenters at UNSW Canberra in 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015.
For an example of this work, you may be interested in the following entertaining video of former SSA member Billie Ganendran presenting her three minute thesis in 2012: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yS–V2CBBs.
Morning session: 9.00 – 12.00 Interactive, activity based workshops
- Brief introduction
- Informal discussion: Presentation styles you most admire/ find most difficult to listen to
- Making an effective short research presentation
- Using visual aids effectively/ Presentation tips: Death by PowerPoint and other visual aids
- Communicating effectively / Presentation tips: Voice and body language
- Managing your nerves
- Particular advice for presenters whose first language is other than English
Afternoon session: 1.00 – 2.30 Practise Presentations
- Participants will deliver their presentations to receive feedback from Maya and other participants
Early Bird Registrations (before 18 November 2016)
SSA member students: $50
Non-member students: $65*
SSA members: $100
Non members: $150
Registrations from 18/11
SSA member students: $100
Non-member students: $120*
SSA Members: $200
Non members: $250
*Proof of Valid University ID required
The course fees include morning tea and a light lunch.
Occasionally workshops have to be cancelled due to a lack of subscription. Early registration ensures that this will not happen. Please contact the SSA Office before making any travel arrangements to confirm that the workshop will go ahead, because the Society will not be held responsible for any travel or accommodation expenses incurred due to a workshop cancellation.
Cancellations received prior to Saturday, 26 November 2016 will be refunded, minus a $20 administration fee.
From 26 November 2016 no part of the registration fee will be refunded. However, registrations are transferable within the same organisation. Please advise any changes to [email protected].
|Time:||9:00 am - 2:30 pm|
|Location:||Rydges Capital Hill,
17 Canberra Ave,